Related Information

Contact us

AMIS Secretariat
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla
00153 Rome, Italy

Tel: (+39) 06 570 53539
Fax: (+39) 06 570 53152
Email: AMIS-Secretariat@fao.org

La Niña watch declared

03 Nov 2017

Although conditions in the equatorial Pacific Ocean are currently neutral, a La Niña watch has been declared, with the probability of La Niña conditions in the November–February timeframe being in the order of 60-65 percent. By comparison, the typical probability during these months is 35 percent.

Should La Niña materialize, above normal rains could occur in Central America, the Caribbean, northern South America, Southern Africa, and Southeast Asia. Drier than normal conditions may prevail in southwest Asia, the Horn of Africa, southeastern South America, and the southern US.