last release: March 2017
Pie chart description
Pie chart description
Each slice represents a country's share of total AMIS production (5-year average). Main producing countries (representing 90 percent of production) are shown individually, with the remaining 10 percent grouped into the “Other AMIS Countries” category. The proportion within each national slice is colored according to the crop conditions within a specific growing area; grey indicates that the respective area is out of season. Sections within each slide are weighted by the sub-national production statistics (5-year average) of the respective country. The section within each national slice also accounts for multiple cropping seasons (i.e. spring and winter wheat). When conditions are other than "favorable", icons are added that provide information on the key climatic drivers affecting conditions. For more information, please visit GEOGLAM.
Overall conditions in the southern hemisphere are favourable with very good production prospects.
- In Brazil, overall conditions for both the spring and summer crops are good with much improved production prospects relative to last year. The spring crop experienced good weather conditions throughout the season and is under favourable to exceptional conditions as harvest progresses in the south. Rains returned to the northeast, improving conditions relative to last month and increasing production prospects. The summer (larger) planted crop is under favourable conditions at the planting to early vegetative stages.
- In Argentina, favourable weather over the past month improved conditions, which are favourable throughout the country with only minor areas of dryness remaining.
- In South Africa, conditions are favourable with above average rainfall. There have been some reports of armyworm breakouts, although so far these have not had a significant impact.
- In Mexico, the spring-summer crop is almost completely harvested and an increase in production relative to last year is expected. The autumn-winter crop is currently being planted under good conditions.
- In India, Rabi maize is concluding harvesting under favourable conditions.